Community Housing

The District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board handles all applications for community housing in the District of Parry Sound.   Community housing is funded by various government programs in which tenants pay reduced rents.

apartment building
Property Listings
senior woman washing vegetables in the sink
Seniors Housing
house with red for rent tag
Rent Assistance Programs
Sad Woman with face covered
Special Priority Program (SPP)

How do I apply for Community Housing

Application for Community Housing

  • You can apply for community housing by completing and filing an application with our offices. Applications are available for pick-up at the social services office, from this Website or call us and we will mail one to you.  We will be happy to assist you in completing an application at our office or answer your questions over the telephone.  Completed applications can be dropped off at our office or mailed in.
  • Currently there is a waiting list for community housing in the District of Parry Sound.  You will be placed on this waiting list once you have submitted a complete application and documentation and have been determined eligible for community housing.   Because of the high demand for subsidized housing the wait may take many years.
  • Your application will be returned if your forms are not completely filled out or if any necessary documents are missing. You will not be placed on the waiting list until your application is complete.

Housing Assistance Programs

Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing

Subsidized housing is housing in which the rent you pay is determined by your income.

Subsidized or “rent-geared-to-income” (RGI) rents are about 30% of your gross monthly household income.  For example, if your household earns $1,500 gross per month, then your basic subsidized rent could be about $500.  Adjustments to your rental amount are made depending on what utilities are included or not included in the rent.  As well, depending on your situation, you may have other deductions and allowances.  Rental amounts are reviewed once per year based on line 23600 of the Notice of Assessment.

If you receive social assistance such as Ontario Works or ODSP, rent is charged at a set amount according to the kind of benefits you receive and the number of people in your benefit unit, rather than calculated as 30% of your gross monthly income.  Your rental amount is taken from tables provided by the government.

Market Rent Housing

Market rent refers to rents that are comparable to the private market rental rates. 

Affordable Rent Housing

Affordable rent refers to rents that are set at 80% of private market rental rates.

Rent Supplement Housing

We have agreements with private landlords to offer Rent-geared-to-income assistance. The number are limited and offer a variety of housing types and sizes.

en_CAEnglish (Canada)