Secondary Suites Program
What is a Secondary Suite?
A secondary suite is a private, self-contained unit within an existing home. It has its own bathroom, kitchen, living area and sleeping area. Secondary suites offer several benefits to homeowners at all stages of life. They can act as a mortgage helper, increase the value of your home, facilitate aging in place, and provide affordable housing options for the community. While most homeowners live in the main part of the house, you can also choose to live in the secondary suite and rent the main area to boost your earnings. A secondary suite can also add resale value to your home.
How to apply?
If you are eligible to apply for the program, please contact our office or visit our website at www.psdssab.org/secondarysuites to obtain a printable application. Completed applications can submitted by mail, email or in person.
‘Soft’ costs deemed reasonable by the DSSAB and that are agreed to by the Province of Ontario, may be eligible expenses. Examples include, but are not limited to Labour and applicable taxes, and legal fees up to a maximum of $1,000. All secondary suites loans are secured as a mortgage and registered on title.
Rental Unit Requirements?
Rents must be at or below the Average market Rent as established by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation for a period of 15 years. Units must be modest in terms of floor space and amenities.
Eligibility will be determined by the DSSAB. Ingoing occupant(s) of the rental unit must have a maximum household income below an amount established by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Annual reporting of rental amount is required.
The use of energy saving products and/or systems are strongly encouraged.
- Applicant must own property in the District of Parry Sound
- Suite must comply with all municipal building regulations
- Property taxes and mortgage payments must be up to date
- Insurance coverage required for the full replacement value of the home
- Construction must commence within 120 days of project approval
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or have refugee claimant status and have no deportation order under the Immigration Act (Canada) against any family member
- Applicant must not be in the process of filing for bankruptcy or have an active bankruptcy filed
- The total of all mortgages and any other encumbrances registered on title, plus the funding program must not exceed the market value of the home.
Funding is limited and will be available on a first come first serve basis.
To earn loan forgiveness, you must maintain continued ownership of the property and adhere to all terms and conditions of the Loan Agreement.
For more information:
District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board Housing Programs
1 promenade Beechwood
Parry Sound, ON. P2A 1J2
Phone: (705) 746-7777
ng is limited and will be available on a first come first serve basis