HIGH FIVE is a provincially-endorsed, comprehensive quality standard for organizations providing recreation and sport programs to children aged 6 – 12 years.
A child-centered approach assists in making recreation and sports a positive one.
HIGH FIVE represents a true commitment to healthy child development in organized play and is based on research involving child development experts, recreation and sports professionals, families and leaders. The five principles of Healthy Child Development that are essential for quality programs are: a caring adult, opportunities to play, make friends, master skills and participate.
The District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board is a registered organization with PROntario’s HIGH FIVE Program. We offer training to District organizations that provide recreation programs for children 6 – 12 years.
Parents who enroll their children in HIGH FIVE Programs can apply to Children’s Services for child care fee subsidy.
For more information on choosing quality at play, go to www.HIGHFIVE.org.
HIGH FIVE® is a standard committed to assisting along the path of healthy child development by:
- Ensuring that recreation and sport practitioners develop a high level of knowledge and expertise in child development;
- Helping parents to make informed choices and;
- Providing practitioners with the tools for enhancing and maintaining a high level of program quality.
Through sustained involvement in quality recreation and sport activities, all children aged 6 to 12 are experiencing healthy development.
HIGH FIVE is based on five Principles of healthy child development that are essential for quality programs. This foundation comes from extensive research into what constitutes quality experiences for children and the practical application of the Principles in programs across Canada.
Commitment to Children Policy
HIGH FIVE represents a commitment to supporting the healthy development of children in recreation and sport. Each stakeholder involved in HIGH FIVE has a role to play in fulfilling this commitment. Every organization and individual, in signing an agreement with HIGH FIVE, endorses and is committed to implementing the Commitment to Children Policy.
The District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board:
- Is a registered organization with Parks and Recreation Ontario (PRO) HIGH FIVE®.
- Provides qualified HIGH FIVE trainers to facilitate Principles of Healthy Child Development training to help organizations improve the quality of programs by making a commitment to continuous improvement in the area of healthy child development and training delivery.
- Provides qualified HIGH FIVE trainers to support recreation programs to improve risk management in children’s programs, assess and measure quality with the HIGH FIVE scientifically validated QUEST 2 Tool.
- Supports parents who enroll their children in HIGH FIVE programs through child care fee subsidy.
- Supports sport and recreation programs who are HIGH FIVE certified and who meet the funding eligibility requirements to receive child care fee subsidy.
For more information about HIGH FIVE®, please visit www.highfive.org